Hi, I'm Cameron. My wife Casi and I and thousands of local Arizonan's sparked this movement. Here's our story.
As high school teachers and natives of Arizona, we have been fortunate enough to use our time off to adventure the southwest. We thought it would be fun to start a blog to document our hikes with family and friends. We began sharing our experiences via our site Arizona Hikers Guide and it quickly became a popular way for others to enjoy the wilderness as much as we did. After a few years of blogging and hosting outdoor group events, we developed an overwhelming sense of pride and love for our community and our state. We also realized others we met felt the same way. We began to feel an obligation to do more to protect our lands and to give back to the areas that we had been freely enjoying.
And so Keep it Wild was born.
The Problem We Face
The Southwest landscape is awesome (not the problem) and because it is so awesome it attracts millions of people every year to enjoy its beauty and grandeur. Due to massive budget cuts, however, many states are limited in both funds and resources to keep up with the increasing demand for nature. This places a heavy burden on our wild places and however infinite and indestructible they may seem, they need to be nurtured and cared for.
1. We sell awesome products and take the funds we generate to impact local wild places. A portion of every purchase you make on our site goes to an active project or organization to restore, maintain, and preserve our wild places. To find an upcoming Cleanup click here!
2. We actually get out there and do something about it. We use the power of social media to promote volunteerism and responsible outdoor recreation. Use our Events Calendar to find upcoming events in your area. Our partnerships with local organizations allow us opportunities to get out into the wild and make a difference. As we grow so will our reach and ultimately our impact on keeping the southwest wild. We all play a role, and if you don’t know what yours is don’t worry, read on!
How it Works
- Create awesome, affordable, and unique goods.
- Find, promote, fund, and participate in efforts to keep our wild places wild
- Encourage responsible outdoor recreation through group events and volunteer opportunities
- Form partnerships with organizations that we feel are worthy recipients of our time and money
- Buy something! We use a portion of every sale to host clean up events. It's grassroots. It's hard work. It's real impact.
- Come get wild with us! We announce group hikes,trail clean ups, and more to promote responsible and awesome outdoor recreation
- Share the message! Help spread the word by using #letskeepitwild on all your social platforms.
- Fill a bag! Included with every purchase is a Keep it Wild bag with a prompt to fill it with trash on your next adventure. Tag your trash with #letskeepitwild on your adventure and we will send you a sticker for free!
In the End
We just want to say thank you. Thank you for supporting us. Thank you for caring. Thank you for taking action. We love what we do, we love our wilderness, and we love our community.
Cam and Casi